Monday, June 12, 2017

Ride Review - BMW R NineT Scrambler

Ride Review - BMW R NineT Scrambler
Courtesy of Velocity Cycles - Mechanicsburg, Pa

By Jim Bull

I guess one would find it hard to believe that in 37 years of riding street motorcycles that I would have at some point swung my leg over a BMW, especially working in the industry. I imagine growing up in a Harley town and working in a multi franchise Japanese brand dealership may have been a reason. 


Check out Velocity Cycles for all your Honda, BMW and Genuine Scooter needs.

If you guys have been following along you noticed last month that Velocity Cycles in Mechanicsburg, Pa helped me realize a long time dream of riding a big Honda Adventure Bike. So this month when shop owner Chris Cuomo asked me what I wanted to ride the answer was simple. I said just put me on that Beemer I liked which is slang for the BMW brand.

Matter of fact when I went to ride the Africa Twin last month this machine caught my eye and I was almost intrigued more by the Scrambler then the bike I had come to ride.

Anyhow this month I got my chance and what a ride it was. This bike is powered by the legendary BMW opposed twin that offers up 1200cc of highly usable torque. I was always curious about the power curve of these highly popular machines and after a few miles I was grinning ear to ear.

As I mounted the bike it seemed a bit top heavy but I found it not to be the case as I headed off towards the mountains of central Pa. Again Chris said she’s yours for the day so we pointed her north and hit the road. 


The Scrambler has classic styling and that torquey opposed twin.

This model line of bikes which includes five different versions is based off the legendary BMW R 80 G/S which was introduced way back in 1980 and took the motorcycle world by storm. It was designed as a touring motorcycle that had both on and off road capabilities.

Today you can buy this bike in the R Nine T, the Scrambler, the Urban GS, the Pure and the Racer versions. All very similar yet designed for different looks and purposes.

Today we took the Scrambler and tried her out in traffic, on the highway and my favorite for this machine, some nice twisty back roads. I found this bike most comfortable riding between 50 and 60 mph in fifth or 6th gear and preferable with no traffic in view.

The bike had a comfortable riding position, handled like a dream and had all the torque and acceleration one would need.  Oh and trust me the ABS braking system with those huge disc rotors really get the job done when you need them.

My suggestion, if you like the cool design of today’s modern scrambler, don’t like to pull much maintenance and love to ride the backroads then this is a bike you need to take a look at. Even on the highway it cruised well at 65 - 70 mph and didn’t beat you up like some standards would.

If you live in Pa it’s even better because we certainly have the perfect roads for it and Velocity Cycles is easy to find only a few short miles off Interstate 81 near Mechanicsburg, Pa.


The BMW R Nine T is a dream ride - get one then go get lost on the Pa backroads.

\\

You can check them out online for all your BMW, Honda and Genuine Scooter needs at: 
www.velocitycycle.net or give them a call at: 717.766.2523

Get more details on this cool ride online by: Clicking Here


BASE MSRP (2) $13,000

ENGINE TYPE: Air/oil-cooled 4-stroke flat twin engine with balancer shaft, four valves per cylinder, double overhead camshaft, wet sump lubrication
CAPACITY: 1,170 cc
RATED OUTPUT: 110 hp (81 kW) at 7,750 rpm
MAX. TORQUE: 86 lb-ft (116 Nm) at 6,000 rpm
TRANSMISSION: 6-speed
FUEL CONSUMPTION: 44 mpg (WMTC)
WET WEIGHT, FULLY FUELED (1): 485 lbs (220 kg)
SEAT HEIGHT: 32.3”
OPTIONAL SEAT HEIGHTS:
High Seat: 33.5" (Option)
Low Suspension Available
FUEL TANK CAPACITY: 4.5 gallons

STANDARD EQUIPMENT:
ABS
Modular Frame Concept
Adjustable Rear Suspension
Telescopic Fork
Disk Brakes
Speedometer with Multifunction
Display
Smoked Turn Signal Lenses
LED Rear Light
Cast Aluminum Wheels
One Piece Bench Seat

OPTIONS:
Aluminum Fuel Tank with
Sanded Weld
Aluminum Fuel Tank with Visible
Weld
Chrome Exhaust
Heated Grips
Anti Theft Alarm System
Off Road Tires
ASC
Cross Spoke Wheels
High Seat (Brown)
Spoked Wheels
Suspension Lowering Kit

Color; Monolith Metallic Matte
(1) Road ready with all fluids, fueled with at least 90% of usable tank volume.
(2) Price excludes tax, license, destination and handling charges. Actual price determined by dealer.





No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 AMA Ice Race Grand Championship GP and Oval Events Scheduled for Jan. 21, Feb. 10

  The annual events return to Fond Du Lac, Wis., after 2023 cancellation PICKERINGTON, Ohio — After an added year of anticipation due to l...